Thursday, May 15, 2014

Salsa

We made fresh salsa at 40/40 several times - super easy.  I had put a recipe in my recipe file some time ago that I'd labeled as 40/40.  It calls for 16 cups of tomatoes - and for those who were at 40/40 this time, that's what we worked off of.  When I looked through my actual 40/40 recipes, I discovered that the original recipe said "4 cups of tomatoes" with the same other ingredients.  So, I'll post the correct version, but for those of you who recently ate this, keep in mind that the porportions of everything may look and taste a bit different.


Fresh Salsa
4 C chopped tomatoes
½ C finely chopped onion
¼ - ½ C finely chopped green pepper
1 t finely minced garlic (1/4 t garlic powder)
1-2 t salt
1 t fresh lemon juice
Mix and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

The other salsa that we ate - the hot one, is a recipe I got from a Southern Living Mag., January 2011.  It calls for a can of "rotel" or tomatoes and chiles.   If your country has items imported from South Africa, look for All Gold "Mexican" tomatoes.  Rhodes brand also makes them.  It's a quick and easy one to make.

Salsa - Southwest Salsa
# 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes and zesty green chiles
# 5 pickled jalapeño pepper slices
# 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves
# 1/4 cup chopped red onion
# 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
# 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
# 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
# 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
# 1/4 teaspoon salt
Drain liquid from tomatoes, reserving 1 Tbsp. liquid; discard remaining liquid. Place reserved liquid, tomatoes, and next 8 ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse 5 to 6 times or until finely chopped. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours before serving. Garnish, if desired. Serve with tortilla chips. Store leftovers in refrigerator up to 7 days.
 

Notes:  If you are using the All Gold or Rhodes variety, the tomatoes are crushed, so you don't need to drain it.  I also cook this briefly because I never seem to make it ahead of time.  It blends the flavors nicely.  I also don't put the South African kinds in the blender since the tomatoes are crushed - so it makes for a chunky salsa.  




No comments: