Here's another recipe I've adapted from the Newcomers Cookbook. The recipe originated with Edith J.
Indian Curry
1/4 cup oil (I'm now using Avocado Oil)
2 cups chopped onion
1 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped (depends on how much you like garlic)
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons turmeric
6 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon Indian chili powder (depends on how hot you like it - I used to use 1/2 tsp. - you may like more or less) (actually now in 2020 I use a rounded teaspoon)
4 cups tomatoes OR 1 large can (28 oz or 794 grams) whole tomatoes cut up along with juice
3 cups cooked and deboned meat - either chicken, beef, pork, rabbit, etc. OR you can used raw meat (see below).
Heat oil in large pot until hot. Add a couple of mustard seeds to test temperature of oil. Oil is hot enough when the seeds “pop”. Add the rest of the seeds and immediately add onions to stop them from popping too much. Cook the onions briefly and then add the other spices and garlic. You will need to stir this to make sure you don’t burn the spices. You may use more oil, but I prefer using as little as possible. Stir and cook several minutes. (If you are using raw meat, add it now and brown it with the spices.) Add tomatoes and cook for several minutes. Then add cooked meat and simmer, covered for 20 to 30 minutes. (if you added raw meat, cook until meat is cooked through).
Serve over cooked rice and top with condiments. The usual condiments I use are: raisins, peanuts, coconut, mango, boiled eggs, tomatoes, onions, pineapple chunks, bananas, and mango chutney. Everything should be cut into “bite size chunks”. I also use plain yogurt on the side to "cut the hot".
2 comments:
This recipe is amazing! Thanks for posting it Linda. I am going to try and make it tomorrow. Also we got some fresh coconut, so my houseworker is going to make some fresh coconut rice to go with this yummy recipe! Could you put your coconut bean recipe on here too? I miss learning how to cook with you. You are a great teacher. Thanks for helping me...oh and I got a copy of the cookbook!!!!!
hey linda!!
wanted you to know that cooking from scratch is going GREAT and my houseworker is excellent in the kitchen too! just made my first homemade pork bbq with sauce, chips, and your peach cobbler! check out the blog for pics...http://helgrenhideout.blogspot.com
love you and miss you! joy
Post a Comment